Do you enjoy having a selection of cheese for dinner? Do you miss eating those delicious cubes now, especially as you are pregnant? Have you missed eating Parmesan cheese of late and would like to know if you can safely indulge in some while you are pregnant?
When you are pregnant, it is important to check the safety of everything you eat and drink. If you want to try eating Parmesan cheese while pregnant, but want to check for its safety first, read on to know all about it.
Is It Safe To Eat Parmesan Cheese During Pregnancy?
When it comes to cheese, there are different rules that apply to different cheeses, especially when you want to eat them during your pregnancy. Soft cheeses and the ones that have been ripened with the help of mold are a no. Similarly, you should avoid eating soft blue-veined cheese while you are pregnant.
Parmesan cheese is a type of hard cheese that you can safely have even while you are pregnant. Even if the cheese is made using unpasteurized milk, it is mostly safe to be had during your pregnancy. The reason you can safely have Parmesan is that it has low water content as compared to soft cheese hence it is less likely for bacteria to grow in these types of cheese. Hard cheese does have the possibility of containing listeria, but even then the chances are very low and the risk it can cause is considered negligible. As with anything you eat or drink while you are pregnant, it is important that you first have a word with your doctor and check whether can you eat parmesan cheese when pregnant. Your doctor offers a confirmation based on the overall health of your pregnancy (1).
[ Read: Is It Safe To Have Swiss Cheese During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Eating Parmesan Cheese:
Eating parmesan cheese while you are pregnant comes with a host of health benefits, both for you and your unborn baby. Here are some health benefits that are associated with eating Parmesan cheese when pregnant:
1. Is Naturally Made Using Safe Practice Standards:
Parmesan cheese is made in the most natural way and does not contain any preservatives or additives.
- Parmesan cheese is made using a lengthy aging process. As a result, the cheese has a low moisture content that is very difficult and almost impossible for bacteria to thrive in. It also has a very low pH count that does not allow bad bacteria to grow inside.
- According to the FDA, Parmesan cheese falls under the safest and the longest aged forms of cheese. Even while stored at room temperature, you can eat it for up to two days.
[ Read: Nutritional Foods To Eat During Pregnancy ]
2. Easily Digestible:
Parmesan cheese will not cause any stomach problems as it is easy to digest.
- While you are pregnant, there are many foods that can cause a stomach upset and cause indigestion. However, the same is not true for Parmesan cheese.
- Parmesan cheese is made using a long aging process. It helps to break down most of the proteins in the cheese into peptones, peptides, and amino acids. The process turns the protein into a pre-digested form, which puts little stress on your metabolism.
3. Packed With Proteins:
Parmesan cheese is a rich source of proteins that your body needs especially while you are pregnant, for both you and your unborn baby’s changing needs.
- When you eat a 2 ounce serving of Parmesan cheese, you get about 20.3 gm of protein, which is about 41 percent of your daily protein requirement while you are pregnant.
- Protein will help your body repair and maintain itself and take care of the wear and tear that happens during pregnancy.
[ Read: Protein Rich Foods During Pregnancy ]
4. Calcium Content:
Parmesan cheese is a good source of calcium and will help both you and your unborn baby’s growing needs.
- A 2-ounce portion of Parmesan cheese has 671 mg of calcium, which provides for more than 67 percent of your body’s daily need for calcium.
- Calcium will help to take care of your bone mass and maintain the health of your bones.
5. Loaded With Vitamin A:
Vitamin A plays a big role in maintaining the health of various parts of your body, as well as that of your unborn baby.
- Eating a 2 ounce serving of Parmesan cheese will provide you with 443 IUs of vitamin A, almost 9 % of the daily recommended Vitamin A intake when you are pregnant.
- Vitamin A will help maintain the health of your skin, hair, teeth as well as body tissue. It will also boost your vision (2).
[ Read: Benefits Of Eating Yogurt During Pregnancy ]
Things To Consider Before Eating Parmesan Cheese During Pregnancy:
While Parmesan cheese is full of so many health benefits, it also has a high content of sodium that you should watch out for.
- When you eat a 2 ounce serving of Parmesan cheese, you get about 780 mg of sodium, which is about 32.5 percent of your daily need. It is recommended that a safe amount of sodium on a daily basis is about 2,300 mg, so make sure you keep a count of how much Parmesan cheese you have on a daily basis.
- Having an excess of sodium can lead to various health issues like heart disease or stroke and even increase your blood pressure levels.
[ Read: Is It Safe To Eat Paneer During Pregnancy ]
Plain Parmesan Cheese Dip Recipe:
Feel free to add or remove any ingredients from the list below, depending on what you can or cannot eat while you are pregnant. Here is a very simple recipe on how you can make some plain Parmesan dip at home:
You Will Need:
- 1 cup (2 ounces) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients and whisk together till you get the desired consistency.
- It is safe to eat Parmesan when you are pregnant, but ensure you speak to your doctor first to avoid any chance of health risks.
Did you eat Parmesan cheese in pregnancy? Do share a few of your recipe ideas here.